This collection of photographs and memorabilia from Thornbury Grammar School was originally created by Mick Munns.  His hard work and dedication is much appreciated.  Thanks are also due to Meg Wise who helped scan some of the many photographs.

Following Mick’s death in 2012, Steve Heaven of Thornet  kindly took over.  On his retirement in 2017 the website was offered to the Thornbury and District Museum.  It was pleased to preserve Mick’s collection.  Click here to read more about Mick

The new website was developed in March 2017 by the same team who created Thornbury Roots.  This Thornbury Grammar School website now looks a little different but all the original material is still here.  We have merely used a format more accessible for  tablets and mobile phones.  More information about the school, staff and buildings has been included and we have added more photographs and reminiscences.

The school has a long history going back to 1606, and probably a lot earlier.  It closed in 1972 when the staff and pupils were moved to Marlwood School in Alveston.  The school buildings in Gloucester Road were taken over by The Castle School and used as their sixth form block.

Please use the menus at the top of page to read about the school history and view the galleries of photographs.  Contact us using the email address shown on the sidebar if you have any questions, corrections or additional material.